Saturday, August 20, 2016

Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)

As mentioned in previous posts, I have been struggling lately with the possibility of relapse. I have done counseling for quite a while and as nice as my therapists are/were, it just was not helping like I thought it would. I decided to try difference options that I have not tried before--Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Intensive Outpatient Program, and medication specifically for alcohol cravings. I have not even found a group for the former and the latter option, I am still looking for a psychiatrist. The middle option, however, is one that I am getting ready to start. I had an appointment  for an intake evaluation for Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP). IOP is a program that usually requires going to group 3 times a week for about 3 hours each meeting. It goes over various topics that can cause potential relapse and how to deal with it and general health. There is usually individual counseling sessions involved, too.
 
I am doing IOP through my local community service board. I was not sure how it would go; but, at my intake assessment, everyone was incredibly nice. I have another appointment in September to follow up and discuss treatment plan and to make sure IOP is right for me. My coordinator was not crazy about the idea of getting HPMP involved in going through IOP. Even though IOP was my idea, I explained that HPMP already knows I am going to go through IOP. He still wants to wait for first sessions before agreeing to provide information to HPMP as some people do not complete IOP and IOP may not be right for others. I understand his reservation and called my case manager at HPMP and let her know that he was open to discussing my case with HPMP down the line; however, not right now. I have not heard back from my case manager at HPMP.

I am kind of excited about starting IOP. I am hoping to learn some skills on how to cope and deal when I start feeling like I want to drink again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment