Thursday, March 3, 2016

Meeting with the Medical Director

As I have mentioned before I have two nursing jobs. One is a PCU position and the other a psych/detox position. They are at different hospitals in different cities/towns about three hours apart. I absolutely love being a nurse and really enjoy both of my positions. I don't plan on voluntarily relinquishing either position. However, I am wanting to switch which one is my full time position and which is the PRN position.

I went through the proper channels of asking for the position to be staffed with HPMP. The result was that the staff and Medical Director over HPMP felt like I could handle both positions but there was a concern that they were three hours apart. As a result, in order to switch which one is the full time position, I would have had to relinquish the opposite position (PCU) and try to find a PRN position in Richmond. I don't want to do that--I have been at my job for over a year and am starting to get comfortable. Aside from starting into psych/detox, I don't want to start over with a new position. I don't want to be a job hopper. I decided to request a meeting with the Medical Director with HPMP. A meeting was set up and I met with him and my case manager yesterday.

I made my case for just switching them but maintaining both positions. Their concern was that I would get exhausted and burnt out and possibly relapse. The Medical Director asked about my hobbies--I don't have many, I guess. I love to work--I love being a nurse. I have friends and family; and I love fixing up my house and entertaining the idea of buying a second one. I would also love to buy a piano and a guitar. That's it. I don't need to jet set to exotic islands or Europe or anything major. That is just not me.

The position is going to be re-staffed. I am hoping for a better outcome this time. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment